Yet another week of 90+ degree temperatures in Iowa left me with early dismissals on Monday and Tuesday. I was appreciative to leave my 86 degree classroom but bummed at the effect on the knife skills lab. With a couple tweeks, everything is back in order. My layout is now similar to a standard one hour class.
- I demonstrated the cutting skills for the soup
- Students labeled the parts of a knife with the first five minutes of American Slicer
- Students reviewed cutting skills with the remaining 15 minutes of American Slicer
- Students cut the vegetables for their soup
- Cook soup
- Utensil identification quiz activity
- Eat soup
- Clean up soup
It’s already that time of the term for our Knife Skills Soup lab! I’m always a bit nervous going into it but my students impress me every time. As you check out this activity, remember that I teach in 85 minute blocks. This could be stretched into a week long activity for shorter class blocks.
- Students will demonstrate safe knife skills.
- Student will demonstrate mincing, dicing, cubing, slicing, chopping, and grating.
- Students complete the preparation task vocabulary sheet.
- The sheet goes with my textbook, Food For Today.
- Students view a demonstration of the knife skills lab.
- Recipe Here
- Check vocabulary during the demonstration.
- Students will watch Good Eats: American Slicer
- Students will label the knife parts during the video
- Review knife anatomy as a class
- Discuss cutting boards available in your classroom
- Students prepare their knife skills soup.
- The recipe is written so that each kitchen works individually to cut the vegetables but combine their vegetables to make a pot of soup for every two kitchens.
- Kitchens who are using their time wisely may make the challenge recipe of dumplings for their soup.
- While the soup is simmering students will create a utensil quiz.
- Each kitchen is given a list of utensils, appliances, and tools.
- Students attach the number to the items they are assigned.
- Students rotate through the kitchens and record the name of each numbered item.
- Demonstrate how to cool soup quickly (immerse stock pot in ice water) and save the soup for the next day.
- Reheat soup, eat, and clean up
- Check utensils quiz