Hello Culinary Essentials students!
Throughout this course you will be recording your experiences in a food blog. We will be periodically updating your blog, but for today we are just setting it up.
Creating Your Blog
Go to Google.
- Choose “More” from the header across the top.
- Choose “Blogger.”
- Choose “Get Started.” This will guide you through the process of signing up for a Google account. If you already have one you should sign in.
- Record your username and password for your own records.
- Create a name and description for your blog.
Customizing Your Blog
It is easy to get wrapped up in the appearance of your blog instead of the content. Spend a little time making the blog your own, but make sure you fulfill class requirements first.
Sign in to your blog.
- Select “Design.”
- Choose “Template Designer.”
- Choose “Advanced.”
- Spend only a few minutes customizing your blog before moving on. You can always come back.
Writing Your First Post
Introduce yourself to your readers. Describe the purpose of your blog. Include a picture.
Make a Blogroll
- Under the “Design” tab choose “Page Elements.”
- On one of the sidebars choose “Add New Gadget.”
- Select “Blog List.”
- Type the names and addresses of your favorite food blogs. Don’t have any? Explore! My favorites include Iowa Girl Eats and Eat, Live, Run.
Add Text Messaging
- Select “Email and Mobile” under the “Settings” tab.
- Scroll to “Posting Options.”
- Create a secret email.
- Save settings.
It may be easier to post to your blog with text messaging or email. This is especially helpful for sharing a quick picture of a delicious meal. Sending a text message or email to this secret email will automatically post to your blog.
Due Monday, April 9:
We will be updating and adding new things to your blog as we go along. You can use extra class time to customize your blog. I really hope you take the initiative to go above and beyond class requirements!
For Monday you will be creating the first of four book reviews. Obviously this means you should have a portion of your book read by then.
- Create a new post.
- Title the post “(Insert book title): A Book Review by (First Name)(Last Initial)
- Insert a picture of your book’s cover. Amazon is a good source for these.
- Describe basic book information- author, publishing date, etc.
- Describe what you expect from the book.
- Describe what has happened so far in the book. (No spoilers!)
- Describe your opinion of the book so far.
- Create three discussion questions about your book. Assume that the reader of the blog has not read the book yet.
- Create a link to another site that is relevant to the information in your book.
- You should keep a professional journalistic writing style.