We celebrated the final day of Homecoming on Friday with our tortilla toppings lab. It comes right after our nutrition unit and at the beginning of our fruits and vegetables unit. Too often students think you have to eat lots of lettuce to be healthy. They don’t think that parties and get-togethers are a time to eat healthy food.
I use it to demonstrate several concepts of preparing raw fruits and vegetables:
- Peeling a kiwi
- Peeling and coring an apple
- Seeding a tomato and jalapeño
- Chopping herbs
- Cutting an avocado
- Preventing enzymatic browning
- Preheat the broiler. Move an oven rack so that food will be about 4″ from heat.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut tortillas into triangles (I budget 2 corn tortillas per student).
- Place tortillas on baking sheet. They can touch but not overlap.
- Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Broil for 3 minutes, watching constantly. Chips are done when they are light brown and start to bubble.
- Continue to cook tortillas for 1 minute at a time until all are done.