I am a long-time fan of Zappos and have been impressed many times over by their amazing customer service. When I saw this news story I was even more happy to shop at Zappos and promote such a great company. This is a great example for my students about working together in groups, motivating others, the impact of a friendly attitude, relating to authority, and most every other objective from our Working Relationships unit.
I prepared the following discussion questions and distributed one to each student before showing the clip.
- What is foresight? How does the leader of Zappos demonstrate foresight?
- What does motivation mean? How does the leader of Zappos motivate others?
- What type of leadership does the leader of Zappos demonstrate? How do you know?
- What is diplomacy? How does the leader of Zappos demonstrate diplomacy?
- What are the two major tasks of group leaders? How does the leader of Zappos demonstrate these?
- What are ways in which people obtain their authority position? How did the leader of Zappos obtain his authority position?
- How can teenagers learn to cooperate with authority? How do employees of Zappos work to get along with authority?